Prevention and Prohibition of Ragging
In view of the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in SLP No. 24295 of 2006 dated 16-05-2007 and in Civil Appeal number 887 of 2009, dated 08-05-2009 to prohibit, prevent and eliminate the scourge of ragging including any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student or asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student, with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over ay fresher or any other student, in all higher education institutions in the country, and thereby, to provide or the healthy development, physically and psychologically, of all students, the All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE) brings forth these Regulations.
“Ragging in any form is punishable offence under law.”
“Ragging is not permissible in campus, not even for fun.”
Prevention Measures of Anti-Ragging
- Constitution of Anti-ragging committee / Anti-ragging squad.
- Apprising students, in person and also through hoardings/billboards/banners in prominent places in the campus, of the consequences of indulging in ragging.
- Taking undertaking /affidavit from each student duly signed by their parents/guardians to the effect that the student concerned is aware of the law in this regard and he/she would abide by it.
- Surprise checks in the campus by the ragging squad in classes/ laboratories etc. to prevent ragging.
- Immediate action on receiving distress message from the victims of ragging.
Counselling the Students through Do’s and Don’s methods about Ragging
- Contact anti-ragging squad in case of any form of ragging.
- Say ‘No’ to Ragging and make the campus ragging free.
- Maintain and follow rules & regulations of the Institute.
- To conduct orientation programmes and other events to create harmony among freshers and seniors.
- Do not indulge in ragging as ragging is punishable.
- Do not force any student for any form of ragging.
- Do not indulge in any act of physical abuse.
- Immediate suspension of student-pending inquiry by Anti-Ragging Committee on complaint of indulgence in ragging.
- If found guilty lodging F.I.R. with Police Station and Rustication from Institute.